STARTING A THERAPY CLINIC ON A FARM…..
In the autumn of 1998 one of Laurie Landy’s dreams came true. When Special Strides, Inc., a non for profit 501 C (3), opened its doors Laurie was able to combine her passion as an occupational therapist, her love of the natural environment and her knowledge of equine movement. Stymied by the limits of traditional classroom based therapy Laurie envisioned an environment where individuals could reach their therapy and recreational goals in a locale that supported all their needs-physical, emotional, sensory, and communication.
- 1998-Special Strides Therapeutic Riding Center-founded by Laurie Landy, OTR
- 2000-Clinic expanded with addition of physical therapy
- 2004-Program offerings expanded to include Adaptive/Therapeutic Riding
- 2004-Steven Werthan Memorial Fund provides financial assistance to its first recipients
- 2008-Joseph Farrelly Therapeutic Driving Program opened its doors
- 2013-Equine Facilitated Learning expansion
- 2016-Program offerings expanded to include equine facilitated mental health
Special Strides is located in Monroe Township in Central NJ, at Congress Hill Farm, an all equestrian training center. The facilities encompass 200 acres of training areas (outdoor and indoor arenas) and wooded trails. Special Strides is proud of is trails which include a variety of sensory equipment such as trampolines, swings, an adventure course with balance beams and a variety of playground equipment. Individuals can explore the farm during therapy and witness the changes of seasons, picking vegetables in the gardens and visiting the other farm animals such as a rabbit, cats, goats, sheep, chickens and alpaca. Special Strides offices are located in a heated/air conditioned office including a fully equipped therapy clinic.
Since its inception, Special Strides has focused on improving the quality of life for all individuals who pass through the stable gates; patients, riders, families, volunteers, staff, donors and community members.